Coda Story is hiring a Director of Development
Coda Story is seeking an accomplished and versatile Director of Development to help guide its growth and expand its team to ensure the organization’s financial and operational health.
Coda Story, an award-winning nonprofit newsroom covering the roots of global crises, is still very small, nimble and willing to experiment. The Director of Development occupies a senior position, reporting directly to CEO and fully engaged in strategic guidance of a fast-growing independent media organization.
We are looking for a person who is passionate about our organization’s mission and who understands the importance of our work to non-profit journalism.
This is a part-time remote position.
The responsibilities of the Director of Development will include but are not limited to the following:
- Devise and direct fundraising efforts, including major gifts, foundations and our membership program
- Work with management to determine fundraising goals and strategies
- Project annual revenues, including the timing of donations and grants to help the organization manage its cash flow
- Maintain relationships with top donors and prospects
- Oversee the day-to-day development operations, including database management
- Galvanize and engage potential supporters
- Draft grant proposals and reports
- Work with the Board of Directors on fundraising strategy
- Generate fundraising materials, including proposals and case studies and produce mailing lists for marketing and fundraising activities, and manage fundraising events
- Collaborate with others in the nonprofit media world to share experiences and learn from a dynamic cohort of independent journalism organizations
We are looking for applicants who are creative, thoughtful and highly efficient. We are also looking for:
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience in fundraising and development
- Proven track record of fundraising with major donors and foundations as well as experience with developing an individual giving program
- Strong understanding of the journalism support ecosystem
- Great interpersonal skills
- A professional understanding of current trends in journalism and a passion for global affairs
Does that sound like you? Then please get in touch with a CV and cover letter by emailing Anna at [email protected]
And if it doesn’t sound quite like you but you have skills and enthusiasm, do not hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are dedicated to improving our newsroom by reflecting the world we cover.
Deadline: 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 1, 2022
Coda Story is an award-winning non-profit newsroom which puts a team of journalists on a story to provide depth, context and continuity to coverage of major crises. We are currently covering disinformation, authoritarian technology and the war on science. We are committed to producing narrative, engaging stories on complex issues and we work closely with a range of editorial partners. Coda was set up by a team of veteran foreign correspondents and is overseen by a distinguished board that includes some of the biggest names in modern day journalism.
The story you just read is a small piece of a complex and an ever-changing storyline that Coda covers relentlessly and with singular focus. But we can’t do it without your help. Show your support for journalism that stays on the story by becoming a member today. Coda Story is a 501(c)3 U.S. non-profit. Your contribution to Coda Story is tax deductible.