Coda Story is looking for a highly motivated design lead to join our creative team. The design lead will be a core team member who will support and inspire the development and production of Coda’s portfolio of visual storytelling (illustration, graphics, video, animations, VR / AR, web projects, etc.). We’re looking for a skilled and organized multitasker who understands digital publishing, is interested in Coda’s topics and is eager to collaborate with a team of journalists.
At Coda we work to tell stories audiences haven’t heard before and to investigate the nuance and complexity of our world. We are seeking a design lead who will translate our editorial work into visual storytelling and provide creative leadership for our coverage of authoritarian technology, disinformation, the war on science and our expanding topics.
- Leads collaboration with outside illustrators, animators, etc. Ensure they deliver work on time, that meets Coda’s standards; develops and maintains and diverse network of freelance illustrators and identifies new talent;
- Develops visual direction for Coda’s editorial channels, website and special projects, advancing and maintaining the long-term visual identity of Coda’s brand;
- Produces same-day illustrations and graphics for Coda’s text pieces as needed;
- Manages production of outside client work for Coda Studio;
- Provides clear, structured, and constructive feedback and critiques of visual media work produced in Coda;
- Researches and introduces trends/techniques in visual storytelling, motion and design. tell stories in engaging ways;
- Works closely with the multimedia editor to create consistent recognizable visual identity for Coda’s brand across our platforms;
- Recommends and implements workflow practices and tools for visual content production.
This position is perfect for you if:
- You’re confident in your project managing and organizational skills
- You are passionate about innovation, eager to experiment and an all-around creative person
- You have a genuine interest in global current affairs and passion for journalism
- You’re comfortable working with Adobe creative suite software
- Proficient English is required, working Russian is a plus
This position is based in Tbilisi. Once we resume normal operations, it is not eligible for remote work.
Please send a cover letter, CV and portfolio link to [email protected] by January 31.
Coda Story is an award-winning non-profit newsroom which puts a team of journalists on a story to provide depth, context and continuity to coverage of major crises. We are currently covering disinformation, authoritarian technology and the war on science. We are committed to producing narrative, engaging stories on complex issues and we work closely with a range of partners including Wired Magazine, Foreign Affairs and Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting, among many others. Coda was set up by a team of veteran foreign correspondents and is overseen by a distinguished board that includes some of the biggest names in modern day journalism.
Coda is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to diversity and inclusion and a workplace that centers these principles in our culture and practices. We look to hire staff who are committed to furthering these objectives.
The story you just read is a small piece of a complex and an ever-changing storyline we are following as part of our coverage. These overarching storylines — whether the disinformation campaigns that are feeding the war on truth or the new technologies strengthening the growing authoritarianism, are the crises that Coda covers relentlessly and with singular focus. But we can’t do it without your help. Support journalism that stays on the story.